Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Excuse me Madam!

“Excuse me madam, come here madam, have a look madam, only 50 rupees madam, madam… madam… madam!” This is what I remember from the first shopping adventure on my own! I was so proud of myself: I went to Bandra by train and found a proper shopping street (Linking Road). And then I went mad! These crazy people started with “Madams”, were dragging me into their stalls, wanted to show me everything, wanted me to buy anything from them! I even had to have a look at men’s underwear! Shopping which is supposed to be a pleasant activity (especially for me!) was like a nightmare, after 1 hour I was so tired that I decided to go home :)

However, I have quite an impressive list of achievements in terms of what I bought and for how much ;) My bargaining skills are improving every day, I can easily name negotiating techniques which are working best with these people!

Sandals
Initial price: Rs 495
Actual price: Rs 270 (15.80)

Kurta
Initial price: Rs 450
Actual price: Rs 250 (14.60)

Earrings
Initial price: Rs 100
Actual price: Rs 40 (2.30 PLN)

Obviously, if I were there with an Indian I would get these things for lower prices as well but as for a gori I managed pretty well ;)

And now – the most annoying thing! I almost wanted to shout when it happened for the first time! As I wanted to buy shoes I had to try different types and sizes… and I forgot customers’ servicing is taken very seriously in this country… not only will they make sure they have a proper size and color but they will be themselves putting shoes on your feet in case you want to try them! I was honestly feeling very awkward – having someone to put my shoes on…. Guess I am still not used to Indian standards!

1 comment: