Thursday, July 23, 2009

I'm so proud of myself!

So today Tulsi, my colleague was not there to pick me up and go with me to the office, she has fallen sick. Such situations happened before already and I was always taking a rick then to drive directly from my flat to the office. Today however I decided to taste a real Mumbai and took one of the shared cabs! First success was actually to recognize the cab because they don’t have the typical “taxi” sign on it. The second challenge was to explain to the driver where exactly I wanted to go and thirdly, most importantly – he wanted to charge me 20 rupees for the trip but I negotiated and paid 15 rupees only!

Talking about bargaining that was my secons success this week as yesterday I was asked to pay 60 rupees for fruits but I finally paid 35! It was easy!

Fruit seller: 60 rupees (with a huuuuuge smile)

Me: 30 rupees

Fruit seller: 50 rupees (smile remains on his face)

Me: 35 rupees

Fruit seller: O.K. (smile becomes smaller)

Me: Thank you! (Huge smile appears on my face)

Ah, ah, I am so proud of myself, surviving in Bombay like a regular Indian! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment