Monday, July 13, 2009

Indian wedding!

Some people say I am lucky as I went for a typical Indian wedding during my first week of stay in Bombay… maybe ;) It wasn’t a typical wedding though. My boss who has just turned 60 comes from south India and there is this old tradition in his family that if you still have a wife at the age of 60 you should re-marry her. This means you go through the same ceremony that you participated in during your first wedding.

The wedding functions started at 7 in the morning, all the guests were welcomed with a breakfast! Together with my colleagues we joined some time after 1 p.m. when the whole ceremony was still going on. I can’t describe really what was happening as during Indian weddings you don’t really participate in the functions. Guests just sit in the room, chat, drink, walk out, do whatever they want to while the couple is going through different rituals. Frankly speaking it looks as if everybody is bored and just waits for the lunch to come!

Talking about lunch it was undoubtedly one of the most interesting food related experiences in my life! Food was served on huge banana leaves, all the meals were prepared with the usage of cocconut and we were eating only with hands! Obviously everybody was staring at me with curiosity if I can handle it but I think I managed quite well not even using a spoon though I was given one by the weitress who apparently didn’t believe in my skills ;) The food was very good, finally something tasted like food, not like masala! It was not spicy and some of the things were even sweet. I liked it a lot!

This picture was't taken by me, I found it online but this is exactly how the food looked like!

No comments:

Post a Comment